Friday, January 22, 2010
Ah, sleep
Some of you might be surprised to hear that I go to bed late now. Very late, for me. I'd say this is probably one of the biggest challenges of parenthood. Not that this is a huge revalation. Everyone knows that babies = less sleep. Really, it's about the time it takes getting her down, but also choosing to spend any time with my spouse. I could go to bed when Louisa does...and I have many times. But then I know that I am cheating my husband out of time. He has been working very hard so he's not been getting home until 7pm. That only leaves an hour to an hour and a half before it's time for the baby to go down. Which honestly, by that time I'm tired too. I've always been an early-to-bed person by nature (like 9 oclock and I'm done.) But again, I do want to spend time with the DH, or often there is also a little project I want to work on or a movie I want to watch. So we've gotten into the habit of going to bed much later than I ever thought I would. Mike tries to encourage me to take an afternoon nap with Lou so that I have more energy at night. The thing is, it doesn't always seem to have a direct correlation. Sometimes even if I take a huge nap, I'm still just as sleepy at night. So, it is a challenge. If I am able to drag myself up after putting the baby down, I'm always happy that I did. But you all know that feeling of overwhelming tiredness...it's hard to fight. Actually, Mike has been rocking her to sleep more and more now. She kind of resists being nursed to sleep, initially (later in the night, she wants me.) She really loves sitting in the rocking chair with daddy.
This is something every parent deals with, so I'm not really complaining. It's just one of those life lessons. And if parenthood wasn't hard, I wonder, would it still be as rewarding?
Um, this is totally off the subject - but where are all my blogger friends?? Seems like no one is blogging. My Google Reader has been quite empty lately...you all need to be blogging regularly :) thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Kayleen, since becoming a mama something has become strikingly clear to me: there is no time in a day! I just can't believe how quickly a day passes. Many things are left undone by the end of a day or even a week or a month, things I wanted to do (usually nothing to do with the baby, but a project or something) but just couldn't find the time to do.
ReplyDeleteGeorges and I have been working hard on finding ways to spend more time together, and it has been a huge challenge. Like your husband, mine must work pretty late into the day as well. What we've been going through to make more time for each other has actually involved a sort of purging in our hearts and home, and I think we're coming to a solution. It took a lot of prayer and setting priorities, and it was harder than I thought it would be. Maybe I should blog about it sometime? I'm sure every mother can relate.
I hope you and your husband can come to some sort of solution, too. It's hard to juggle it all, I know!
Wow, I totally agree - sleep is amazing and definitely the amount of sleep does not correlate with tiredness. I need to update my blog, I know (my excuse is over the last 10 days I have administered 10 standardized assessments.. and that's only part of it)...Isaac is getting excited about Louisa's upcoming birthday! We will try to make it up there sometime around then, although of course it will have to be a weekend...
ReplyDeleteGina - that's okay, I know you're a busy mama! But Isaac's pictures need to be posted :) the adoring world needs to see his little face!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I just put Lou's party invite for you in the mail. Maybe you guys can make it since it's a three day weekend? I think aunt Christi and Jan are coming, maybe you could carpool?
Elizabeth;
ReplyDeleteIt's so true, time gets away from you. It can be especially profound when you find yourself having no time for your spouse. It is something that forces you to communicate as best you can and to stay in touch with each other somehow. I know that prayer is essential to this. We should keep encouraging each other to do so!