Thursday, January 28, 2010

cookies


Lou continues to be tricky at night. For the last few nights, Mike has gotten up with her at some point and helped her fall back asleep. This morning, it was too close to morning for me to justify waking him up to put her back down. She cried for a bit even after I got up with her , and wanted to be held which makes me think she might be getting a cold, or teething. I feel bad for her, but I also feel bad for us! We are tired! Oh, I hope this does not last long. I might need a nap today. Poor Mike though, he does not get to take naps anymore these days.

So yesterday, I made oatmeal cookies while Lou took her morning nap. Standing in my kitchen (I'm pretty sure I was barefoot :) I realized how much I enjoy being a housewife. Most days I am unbelievably happy and can't believe my luck. There are challenges and periods of stagnation, as well as growth; just like in any job outside the home. Every day is different, yet there is always a rhythm of playing, resting, cleaning, organizing, caring, visiting. I get to set my own pace and make small goals for myself daily. Ultimately, it is my job; I am the CEO of my home and I honestly can't imagine having more job satisfaction. Anyway, I know I've only been doing this for a year, so I'm sure I might go through times where I'm worn out, or possibly even bored. However it's totally comparable, again, to any job a person might have. My vocation is definitely to be a wife and mother, and I am excited by the thought of doing it with excellence. Anyway, these thoughts just occurred to me as I did domestic things yesterday.

Then, Mike came home, and after he kissed me I wanted him to try my cookies. He said, oh you mean from the fungus jar? Ha! The fungus jar. I suppose it is a terribly ugly cookie jar, but I got it for free! I kind of like that it's ugly. :)

5 comments:

  1. it's definitely very Hobbit-y :) I approve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your fungus jar. If you ever want to get rid of it, I will pay for you to ship it to me. It is so cute. (This adoration will probably make you love it). Your job as mother will never be boring. There is so much to do. So glad you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious; as I read your post I thought "I really would have expected someone as feminine as Kayleen to have a prettier cookie jar." I feel like that's the kind of thing your kids will get nostalgic about though- I have fond memories of a few ugly pieces we had in my parents' house growing up. Luckily, when it comes to cookie jars, it's what's inside that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again - it was abandoned by someone who moved apartments so my grandma offered it to me. When I first saw it I didn't like it but I wondered if it would grow on me. It has for the most part, but knowing me I'll probably keep it until I find something better one day! As of right now it has no sentimental value, so when that day comes, Renee I'll contact ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you fancy? I'll keep my eye out for a suitable Kayleen cookie jar and we'll trade ;-)

    I should warn you though. My mom bought a chicken cookie jar that she adored and we, her children, smashed the head (lid) to smithereens on a mid-night cookie raid. I think I was six. All this to say, your kids may smash your cookie jar one day.

    ReplyDelete