




Oh, I was so impressed by all the planning they did and how everything came together. For all of us who have planned a wedding - we know that it is not a romantic affair. It is hard. work. And what kills you is that many of the guests either don't appreciate all your efforts (like casually tossing your wedding favors into the garbage after you slaved over them for hours into the night) or, they nit-pick every aspect of your wedding and critisize how you did this, or how you did that. Yes, I know that the most important aspect of a wedding is that the couple walks away married. I am very much aware of that. And that's exactly how I felt about my own wedding. But the fact remains that it is a stressful and emotional and difficult affair, planning a wedding. (Oh, and expensive :) So, great job Beth and David, you did a wonderful job and it was a real delight being your guests.
What are some of the details you guys remember from a. your own wedding, or b. weddings that you have attended as guests?
What beautiful pictures! Louisa certainly seemed happy to be there.
ReplyDeleteWell, our wedding was very small: only 16 or 17 guests. I did EVERYTHING myself. Everything was handmade, including the invitations and favors. I certainly did slave over those things well into the night, as you said! I even set up the hall and decorated the church just hours before the wedding (with help from my youngest sister, I must say), which was a daunting but very memorable experience.
My mother was very good about bringing things back to my apartment once my husband and I had left the hall, but no one thought to save part of the cake for us to eat on our first anniversary! :(
Oh well: we still have an unopened bottle of champagne from our wedding day that we intend to drink on our fifth anniversary...2-1/2 years from now. :)
I agree that Louisa seemed so cheery in those pictures!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite wedding reception, and I have no idea why, was one of my distant cousins' in Mt. Angel. I just remember it because the reception seemed really fun, there was a lot of food and champagne and it didn't feel stressful. I don't know if there was much attention to detail or not, but everyone had a really good time.
We tried to do that with our wedding reception - don't know if we succeeded, but I think there was definitely enough food! I guess I didn't actually care too much about most of the details, and I divvied out a lot of the tasks so it wasn't actually all that stressful for me! One of my friends did mention that my table decorations were pretty random, but I said, "Hey, that's just how we are! Pretty random... :)" As long as it gives you a taste of the couple, I think that's what matters.
A. At my wedding people gave the best toasts. I think there were six toasts. My two favorites were our bestman/best friend and my brother. The bestman gave his perspective of our love affair and our overall friendship to him. I didn't think I was going to cry that day, I was too happy, but the flattering things he said about both of us, I just couldn't believe we had that kind of impact on anyone.
ReplyDeleteb. My favorite wedding was a Syrian Orthodox wedding in Spokane. The ceremony was unusual. But at the reception they played a video made by the brother of the groom. It was a bollywood version of how they feel in love. It was really funny.
BTW, I insisted on not doing wedding favors because they are expensive and everyone throws them away afterward. My mom insisted on doing them. I told I wanted to have nothing to do with them! She bought Sees candy and put them in bags that were our wedding color. It was really nice. Some random people walked into our reception and stole them off unoccupied tables. I didn't care. It was just wierd.
Elizabeth - wow I can't believe you decorated the whole place by yourself! Did you guys have a reception too, then? That's sweet about the champagne. I think doing the cake is nice, but I've heard many couples say it either got ruined or didn't taste that good because of being in the freezer, anyway.
ReplyDeleteGina - you are so right about getting a feel for the couple! That is one thing I should have mentioned because I completely agree. The best weddings we've been to that was certainly the case. I am so sad we didnt make it to your wedding :( Kathy said it was a beautiful wedding ceremony and I remember she said the reception was alot of fun!
ReplyDeleteRenee - That's another thing that makes a fabulous wedding, when it is clear that the couple is well loved by family and friends. Do you have it all on tape? I did a toast for a friend's wedding and did NOT think I would cry at all...but the tears just flowed! (P.S. I saw pics of your wedding on facebook, I LOVE your dress! Very flattering on you)
Yep, we had a reception and that's what I was busy decorating the hall for just hours before the wedding. Actually, looking back on it I can't remember feeling stressed--very, very busy and excited, but sort of like I was in a bubble and just so happy. I just put all my heart into the preparations. Good times. :)
ReplyDelete