Monday, January 18, 2010

Small finds

First of all, some of you were asking if I knew Molly. (Please visit her blog one more time - her family has done a post) I did not know her personally, but as it turns out she was very much apart of a larger Catholic community here in the Western Washington and Portland area. Basically, she was loved by many people around here, and obviously by people internationally as well. Did you know that all the children that she worked with survived??? The orphanage building itself remained in tact, while the dorm she was in at the time was completely flattened.

This story hurts every time I think about it. I can't imagine how her family is coping.

Even though so many aspects of daily life seem relatively unimportant right now, I still feel the need to keep posting about them. On second thought, maybe it is the ordinary parts of life that do matter. The small joys in our lives can be the things we take for granted (I know I do.) Church on Sunday morning. A dinner with family. A cozy nap with the baby. Kisses at bedtime. A cup of hot coffee and a leisurely breakfast. These are the events that filled my weekend. On the one hand I almost feel guilty talking about them...but on the other hand maybe I am honoring Molly, and all the others who have died, by counting my blessings and remembering that life is a gift. Usually it hurts too much to think about the big picture, so I will choose to focus on small everyday events and simple joys. Now what is it with kids and baby wipes? Louisa loves to pull them out of the box and suck on them. Next to nursing I think this would be her preferred source of nutrition.

3 comments:

  1. I know that some of my kindergarteners love baby wipes too. They rub them all over their faces after using them to clean the clay off their hands. One student always wants to take his home. Funny that it must start at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is soooo adorable! Hope I can see you guys soon!!

    ReplyDelete